Sunday, March 4, 2012

Microbicide Safety






The development of topical microbicides represents a new and exciting field in the prevention of sexually transmitted diseases, and it is especially important that candidate products undergo rigorous preclinical safety and efficacy testing before advancing to clinical trials.


The physico-chemical and biological properties of active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) and their formulations are the foundation of safe, efficacious and acceptable microbicides. Hence, the initial selection of the API and its primary formulation is crucial. Certain undesirable properties of an API can be compensated or masked by an appropriate formulation. However, there is a risk in proceeding with inadequate APIs or formulations, as they may fail later in development, costing more time and money. 

It is important to have a set of criteria that inform Go/No Go decisions prior to entering in clinical trials. This set of criteria is based on API and formulation parameters derived from a comprehensive evaluation of their in vitro P/C properties, drug release rates, specific activity, and cell and tissue toxicity, which in turn represent the base for animal studies focused on organ toxicity/safety, pharmacokinetics (PK), and pharmacodynamics (PD) and efficacy.

A solid preclinical foundation will help navigate clinical testing successfully, ultimately leading to a safe and effective microbicide. In addition to the more classical IND-enabling studies, new models, assays and biomarkers have been developed and adapted to the evaluation of genital and rectal microbicides.

Experience with previous microbicide candidates has led to the inclusion of assays evaluating the impact of genital environmental factors such as low pH, seminal plasma, CV secretions and microflora on microbicide safety and efficacy. Microbicide-induced inflammatory mediators and alteration of innate immunity have also been recently incorporated to the standard testing.

Given the need of antiretroviral compounds, in particular reverse transcriptase inhibitors, to enter target tissues and cells and, in some cases be activated inside them, PK/PD evaluations are now essential components of preclinical and early clinical microbicide evaluation.

Testing safety and acceptability
Although initial trials of safety and acceptability focus on women, they must also include evaluation of male partners. Acceptable, practical, and standardised methods are needed for assessing toxicity to the vaginal mucosa by the naked eye and colposcopy, such as those proposed by the International Working Group on Microbicides. Risks to participants in trials must be minimised by protection from pregnancy and screening to exclude sexually transmitted infections and HIV.

Microbicides are likely to be most effective at population level if they both protect uninfected women against HIV infection and reduce the infectiousness of women already infected. Trials therefore also need to check safety of microbicides in infected women; they could also study effects on levels of HIV RNA in vaginal swabs as a proxy for infectiousness. Because epidemiological and cultural conditions vary so greatly, studies of safety and acceptability are needed in all likely target populations. Other factors that need to be assessed before an efficacy trial are the distribution and retention of microbicide in the vagina.

4 comments:

  1. Yes yes & yes many cancers & like diseases like HIV/AIDS, HSV/HERPES, and many organ related diseases are cured this days with herbal remedies & more herbal treatments are being discovered all the time. More anticancer & antiviral herbal drugs are in clinical trials this days than ever before and promising herbalist like Dr Utu all thanks to him. I do hear of many people he has helped cured their diseases using African natural Herbs & Roots. I'm Paul G. From Australia a father of four which include 3 girls and a boy. My boss is more than a father to me, he assist my family even financially. He completely lost himself when he was diagnosed of kidney stone & to make matter worst he started noticing his first outbreak. Ever since his kidney stone issues, he keep having herpes outbreak on any little fever. He's my boss and the only way I can pay him is to help his situation. At first I doubted Dr Utu, but in a case of life & death as this am left with only a choice. I contacted Dr Utu to give him a try. He sent herbal meds to my boss that completely flushed out the stone in his kidney. He completely cured my boss of kidney stone and herpes virus using African herbs. I also prescribed this herbal cure for a colleague with HIV and he was completely cured. Dr Utu is health future. Through me Dr Utu have completely cured; herpes, hiv, cancers, kidney stone. I think it pays to be good because you never know who might pay you back in future. So my knowledge on this is what I share. For the sick, trying herbal meds will tell you the different. Reach Dr Utu on his email; drutuherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Michelle. my 19 year old daughter, jane, was diagnosed of herpes 2 years ago. ever since then,we have been going from one hospital to the other. We tried all sorts of pills but all efforts to get rid of the virus was futile.
    The blisters kept on reappearing after some months. My daughter was making use of Acyclovir tablets 200mg. 2 tablets every 6hours and fusitin cream 15grams. and H5 POT. Permanganate with water to be applied 2x a day but all still show no result. So I was on the internet some months back, to sought for any other means of saving my only child. just then,i came across a comment on dr.ugo's herbal treatment and decided to give it a try. i contacted the doctor and he prepared some herbs and sent it to me together with guidelines on how to use the herbs. my daughter used it as directed and in less than 14days,my daughter regained her health.. You should contact Dr.Ugo today directly on his email address for any kind of health challenge you may have: ugoherbalhome@gmail.com..+2348104990619

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took almost one year for my first real outbreak but it was the hardest thing in the world to get along with. I felt so unwanted and dirty. I tried many formulas, suggestions, methods to get rid of it permanently. Booked appointment with many doctors, professionals, even religiously until I started getting away spiritually and still it won't go. The worst is my outbreaks occurs within short period and take as long as even weeks to go away. I was at last placed on antiviral treatment which is a good treatment but for how long? I prayed every four times a day for God to cure me miraculously or direct me to cure because I know there is. During outbreaks I thought it's the end of the world but it's not, with time I will become normal again. I started trying fruits and herbs, take herbal produced, and with time became very interested in herbs. I read blogs, websites, and comments on herbs and built a stronger hope. I saw comments and decided to try Dr Utu African Traditional Herbal meds. I know of one mr Brown who was HIV and now brags he was cured of HIV with Dr Utu traditional meds but never give it a thought because I believed HIV already has a cure and never think it through or make a research. And for herpes my doctor told me that there is no known cure. When I saw testimonies of his Herpes cure on sites. I copied his contact d r u t u h e r b a l c u r e @ g m a i l . c o m.
    I showed it to brown who confirmed it was Dr Utu contact. I contacted him immediately and he also prepared and sent me herbal herpes meds through DHL. Right after getting this traditional meds I followed the prescription cautiously and withing days I started noticing rapid change and I know within me it's the cure. I used it for up to two weeks and when my test result was out not only did this herbal meds cure me but boost my immune and I feel real and free. Dr Utu African Traditional meds have successfully cured Herpes, Warts, HIV, Cancers, Kidney Stone, Asthma, most importantly this traditional meds boost immune and have no after effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am deeply concerned about the still increase in population of people living with HSV, HIV, CANCERS, HEPATITIS, STROKES in our society today because of ignorance, to be Frank all this big names are grammars. I saw comments of people DR UTU helped get rid of their diseases, with the increase in population of people living with various diseases and myself as a beneficiary to DR UTU traditional cure I thought I too should reach the world via comment. Many People believed traditional herbs are so primitive and some are even shy to purchase it in public. Some went as far as trashing the legendary name of herbal medicine hiding its numerous advantages and let publicly it disadvantage and yet makes it look big, all this are just for pharmaceutical gain. All pharmaceutical cure are derived from existing traditional herbal cure from ages.
    Yes! I'm here to tell the world the actual FACT! which is; there is herbal cure for herpes, Ebola, HIV, cancers, hepatitis, ulcers, asthma, pile, diabetes and many big names of diseases. all my career I've lived my life believing and making research on this, till I confirmed it four years ago. Since four years ago and till today I still say yes! That among many real traditional herbalist Dr Nze Utu Njoku @ (drutuherbalcure) cures this diseases using African traditional herbs. After he cured me four years ago of genital herpes, ever since then I worked with him distance never a barrier, I'm a living witness to this. And I have directed both genital and oral herpes patients to him and they are permanently cured. I'm Ethan Oliver from Australia and also a herbal dealer and lover. I'm also a researcher on herbs for good health. Which also include Africa traditional herbal treatment, I support Herbal treatment, cure and vaccines. My view is based on my extensive research over a very long period of time, and my conclusion is, there is cure to all natural diseases including HSV, HIV, CANCERS, DIABETES, using the right medications with the right herbalist. Are you herpes positive and permanently want get rid of this disease or any of this big name diseases don't be scared to save yourself, contact Dr Utu for permanent herbal cure. Be bold and smart Don't be fooled by selfish people who say, cure is impossible.
    Dr UTU e-mail , 'drutuherbalcure@gmail.com'

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...